Monday 3 February 2014

Focus on the process

Easier said than done for Singaporeans!

We have been raised for generation to focus on the outcomes, i.e. results.

But really, focusing on the process of learning has many benefits. Children build characters, problem solving skills and resiliency.

I am usually irked by teachers and parents who are too concerned about the "beauty" of the works. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What if, that art piece or that piece of writing appears beautiful to the child but just not by our standards? I say, leave it, respect it.

Children learn through exploration. It has been amazing for me when Isaac shows me things he learnt through his own discovery. That includes singing songs. He has been singing songs I don't teach such as "are you sleeping" and the alphabet song.

So, I am glad he is progressing just fine and happily exploring the world he is in. 

No comments: