Wednesday 6 April 2011

Highly Rated Tonkatsu

Tonkichi is renowned for serving very good Tonkatsu (pork cutlet).

Friends, including those who lived in Japan before raved about the tonkatsu at this restaurant. So, when we were shopping at Isetan, curiosity got the better of me. We were debating whether or not to try since, there could be "radiation" in the meat. But, who cares. If AVA allowed, we should be safe. That shows how serious I am about my food.

Anyway, I won't say that the prices were cheap for just fried pork cutlet. Furthermore, Baby and I decided to try the #1 USA Black Pork, which cost more than S$30 for just a fried pork cutlet and, ok, rice, miso soup and three pieces of watermelon. But since we were there, Baby decided we might as well just try the "best".

I have to say, the menu was quite informative, with visual aids to help customers differentiate between different types of cutlets. For instance, Rosu and Hire, and so on.

So, below are some photos and my opinions.

This part was fun. We were given some sesame seeds mixture to grind for our Tonkatsu.

Smelled really aromatic too

My turn to have some fun with the grinding

Added some Tonkatsu sauce after the sesame mixture became finer



Some braised pork to fill us a bit. We were feeling ravenous. And my... They were very delicious. Almost melted in our mouth and did not taste "fat" at all.

The Tonkotsu ramen soup was tasty. But the pieces of meat were shredded. Very unlike the usual Tonkotsu ramen I had before. Not sure if this is the traditional way of the ramen.

Finally! The Tonkatsu (Black Pork)! The breaded batter on the outside was crispy and light, the inside was tender and juicy. Was quite worth the price because, the pork cutlet was sizably big. And there was free flow rice and cabbage too.


No comments: